It’s August…the last full month of summer. This is the month to pay attention to certain home maintenance chores before autumn arrives.
1. Clean the gutters. When the leaves start to fall next month, you’ll want your gutters to start off unclogged so they can still function.
2. Trim back your foliage. This summer has been dry so your landscape probably isn’t as overgrown as usual for this time of year, but you most likely still have some weeds to clear away. Make sure that your gardens and flower beds are free of weeds and vines and that you maintain what you want to keep.
3. If excess growth has occurred around the foundation of your home, make sure to remove it all. It can ultimately cause cracks in your foundation. If you are seeing cracks and gaps between the foundation and the ground, make sure to water your foundation. With some types of soil, the ground can recede in a drought and lead to expensive foundation damage.
4. Clear up any piles of tools and toys that have accumulated outside. These are a breeding ground for bugs. Avoid storing these items near your home. It is an invitation for bugs to get inside.
5. Sharpen your mower blades. They have probably dulled by now and you still have at least 2 months of mowing left.
Late summer home maintenance is mostly made up of outdoor chores. Make sure to get these out of the way because, come fall, there will be a lot more to do.